Elevate your workspace with style! Explore the art of organization with Graphic 45 Brand Ambassador, Karan Gerber, as she guides you through creating a chic DIY Desk Calendar using the stunning Life is Abundant paper collection. Watch the video tutorial for a perfect blend of creativity and functionality.
Life is Abundant Calendar
Tutorial by Karan Gerber
“Hello G45ers and welcome back to the Graphic 45 Blog! I have a great little project for you designed using the gorgeous Life is Abundant collection.
This is a Desk Calendar for 2024! I created the stand from scratch and will share the measurements here for you. The base is perfect for the 8 x 8 Paper collection but I found the calendar pages from the 12 x 12 perfect for the added background on the calendar that I printed.
On the front of each month, I created a 2024 Mini Calendar that I downloaded from the internet and resized on my computer to fit the size I wanted. I printed it out on white cardstock and inked the edges with Linen Ink.
I fussy cut elements for the front of the calendar and on the back.
Above are a few ideas on how you can decorate the back of the pages.
I created a spot to add a photo or some journaling. Cut some elements from the
12 x 12 paper collection, used the Ephemera and some elements from the Tags and Frames throughout.
Be creative and have fun decorating the pages. There is no right or wrong way to decorate. You can add as much or as little as you want.
I wanted to keep the calendar somewhat flat so all 12 months would fit on the base without adding a lot of bulk. Even though I did add some dimension with Foam Adhesive throughout, it’s not on every page.
Here are the pages out of the base, this is January and February.
March and April
May and June
July and August
September and October
November and December
- You will need two sheets of 12 x 12 black chipboard, from that cut out two pieces measuring 8 x 8. This will be the base front and back of the calendar and will be very sturdy.
- Cut four pieces of pattern paper from either the 12 x 12 or your 8 x8 papers measuring 7 7/8 x 7 7/8. This will be for the front and the back of the chipboard base.
- Top Hinge:
From black cardstock cut a 2 inch strip x 8″ strip and score on the short end at 1 inch this will be our top hinge which will connect the two pieces together. Fold in half and attach to the top of each base placing the fold at the top. This will be secured on the inside back.
4 Adhere the pattern papers to the chipboard leaving 1/8″ border all the way around.
- We now need to use our crop o dile or hole punch and punch holes at the top of the chipboard approximately 1″ from the top and mark a dot with a pencil at 2 1/2 and 5 5/8. This is where you will punch your hole and set your i-let.
- Base Hinge:
To create the bottom hinge, we will need to cut from black cardstock, a 8 x 6 piece and score on the short end at 3/4″, 1 1/2 ; 2 1/4″, 3″ 3 3/4″, 4 1/2″ and 5 1/4. Fold on all score lines and create mountain and peak hinges. Place adhesive on the outside piece of the hinge and attach to the base of the bottom.
- you can now use the rings at the top to attach the monthly calendar pages.
- Monthly Calendar Pages:
Cut 12 pieces from black cardstock measuring 7 1/2 x 6 inches. Also cut from all your lovely pattern papers 24 pieces measuring 7 3/16 x 5 7/8 , this will be for the front and back of the calendar pages.
- Set I-lets in Calendar Pages:
**First cut a template from a scrap piece of cardstock to be sure you have the holes in the right place before continuing, it will save paper in the long run. **
The center of the first i-let will measure 2 1/4 inch mark from the left edge for the first hole and 5 5/16 for the second hole and 7 /16 from the top of each page. You can check and make sure it will line up on the base of the desk calendar before punching the holes and setting all the pages with an i-let.
- You can now decorate all the Calendar pages, I did use the 12 x 12 for the monthly 4 x 6 calendar pieces. I added the printed calendar to and then decorated from there.
I hope I have inspired you to create a desk calendar with the gorgeous Life is Abundant.
You can check out the tutorial here.