We have a surprise birthday blog for you today honoring Jeff Filimoehala, our Production Designer! In this post we will be sharing an extra special birthday card step by step tutorial by the one and only Annette Green. This stunning card features Jeff's favorite color and collection, Vintage Hollywood. Let's jump into this fun filled post, and please be sure to join us in wishing Jeff a Happy Birthday in the comments. To kick off the party, we have a special message from our CEO and Head Designer, Diane Schultz.
"Jeffery, I hope you know that I love you not just because you're my son, but because you're an amazing person. Thank you for all you do for me and for Graphic 45. Thank you for your creativity and your muscle (brain and brawn) AND for never complaining. Thank you especially, for your wonderful sense of humor… for giving all of us at G45 so many reasons to smile.
Wishing you the happiest of birthdays!" ~Mom
"I started at Graphic 45 a few years ago ,helping with CHA and other trade shows, you know, doing the “heavy lifting” and working the shows. The craziness it took for the shows and the projects to come together was quite overwhelming and really came as a shock to me. All of the amazing projects, inspirational cards, and beautiful albums that were created using G45 products made me realize that there truly is a passion out there and an amazing community of people eager to tell stories and create in the most illuminating ways. Needless to say I was hooked! Soon enough I was designing marketing materials, project sheets, and doing other production design work. I truly feel so thankful to be surrounded by such imaginative people (some which, just happen to be family,) in a most astonishing environment each day." ~Jeff
Vintage Hollywood Masculine Pop-up Card
By Annette Green
"After watching Graphic 45’s most recent Facebook Live, I learned that Jeff Filimoehala’s birthday is June 8th. I also learned that his favorite collection is Vintage Hollywood and he loves the color orange, so this was the perfect opportunity to create a fun, masculine pop-up card for his special day. (I hope he likes it!) I’ve created this pop-up book-style card inspired by an SVG file from Lori Whitlock. I think this would also make a wonderful Father’s Day card." ~Annette Green
- Cut a card base from orange cardstock to make a 5” x 7” card when folded. Follow the paper cutting measures in the photo and layer pieces onto the card front. The unmarked border strip is 3 ½” by approximately ¾”. (Notice there will be an open space not covered with paper.)
- Cut apart elements from the papers and select chipboard pieces. (I used the blue framed chipboard tag, the small black tag, and three round circles.) The star strips are approximately ¼” wide x 6 ¾” long and will go on the inside of the card. Ink edges as desired.
- Cut two pieces of Silver Screen as directed and adhere to the inside, close to the inner fold, then adhere the two star borders from the previous step on the outer edges.
- Cut the orange paper with words from the Patterns and Solids pad as directed. Score the paper at the measures listed below the photo, being careful to start and stop 1” away from the top and bottom of the paper as shown by the dark lines. The score at 5 ⅛” is the only one to go all the way down the paper.
- Now carefully use a craft knife to cut from left to the right (the first and last score lines) making sure to start and stop 1” away from the edges as shown by the dark lines. Repeat at the bottom.
- Fold the piece as shown. The large center portion should look like a book popping up slightly.
- Follow the paper cutting measures in the photo and ink all edges. The “Born” borders are approximately ⅝” wide x 4 ⅛” tall.
- Adhere all the pieces to the folded unit as shown.
- Gently fold the unit closed, making sure all scored folds are crisp and the unit closes easily.
- The unit should fold nice and flat. If not, use a bone folder to burnish on the folds to make them crisp.
- Place double-sided adhesive tape on the areas shown.
- Peel and stick this portion into the card approximately ½” from the card’s edge, pressing firmly.
- Place double-sided adhesive tape on the other side in the same manner as before.
- Fold the card closed and press.
- Adhere the scalloped border unit and fussy cuts (from Step 5) to the front of the card.
- If you like, stamp a sentiment on the blue chipboard tag then join the two chipboard tags with waxed twine tied into a bow. Pop up the Super Star fussy cut with dimensional foam and add the three chipboard circles to the card as desired.
Graphic 45 Supplies:
- Vintage Hollywood 12 x 12 papers:
- Delightful Debut
- Glitz & Glamour
- Star Studded
- Silver Screen
- 3 different sheets Vintage Hollywood 12 x 12 Patterns and Solids paper
- Vintage Hollywood Journaling Chipboard
- Colorbox Decades ink pad: Photogenic for inking edges
- Orange Cardstock
- Black Waxed Twine
Happy Birthday Jeff, we hope this day is as special as you are! Big thanks to Annette for sharing that incredible masculine card that is perfect for this month's challenge.
Join our #G45Gentleman Challenge!
- Create a masculine project using Graphic 45 product
- Upload your project to our Facebook page using #G45Gentleman
- BONUS! Use our new Master Detective collection and your entry will count as two entries
- WIN a $150 prize pack, one winner will be selected randomly
- Deadline: June 30th, 2017
- You can enter multiple times
- Winner will be announced in the July 6th, 2017 newsletter
This month we're celebrating those special gentlemen in our lives, dads, brothers, sons, friends, and heroes. Have fun taking part in our June Challenge. We look forward to seeing your projects!